I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that 2016 is in the rear-view mirror and it’s now 2017.
The transition from December 31st to January 1st is just a single second, as is the changeover from any day to the next, but energetically it’s far from an ordinary changeover.
For the briefest of moments, we experience a clear demarcation between an ending and a beginning.
The confluence of endings and beginnings isn’t unusual; it happens all the time. But other than birthdays and anniversaries, they don’t tend to happen on predictable, recurring dates. And that makes the changeover from one year to the next special.
So before you fully leave last year behind and bound, saunter, slink, leap, scurry, or skip into the year that’s just a few days old, take a few moments to do so intentionally and lovingly.
And yes, I did say intentionally AND lovingly!
Without an intentional transition, you miss the opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate all that happened in the prior year, so you can step into the New Year with focus and purpose.
And without bringing love into the equation, it’s far too easy to look back at what you didn’t accomplish and the ways in which you didn’t get your *%^$ together. And that tees you up to start the New Year thinking not-very-nice thoughts about yourself or coming up with a list of correct-my-flaws resolutions or (gasp!) both.
Here’s something different to do this year :-).
Acknowledge, celebrate, learn.
And then set the stage for what you want to create this year.
Here are a few questions to help you create the conditions for an intentional and loving transition into 2017, setting you up for a successful and happy New Year! Spend some time reflecting on both the questions and your answers … it’s a lovely gift to give yourself!
Acknowledge, celebrate, learn
- How did you grow in 2016?
- What’s different today versus the start of last year? What did you let go of? What did you create space for?
- Who did you become?
Creating what’s next
- What do you want 2017 to be about?
- What are you bringing into the New Year from last year? And what are you leaving behind?
- How do you want to experience the year?
- What do you want to create in your life this year? What do you want to learn, and how do you want to grow?
- How will you honor all of your learning and growth this year? (Not just the pieces that come wrapped in pretty packages. All of it!)
And last, but most certainly not least …
- Are you willing to give yourself permission to be YOU in all your glorious, messy, flawed, and perfect humanness?
From my heart to yours, wishing you a 2017 filled with success, happiness, and growth!